Wednesday, June 9, 2010

OCTOPUS RESTAURANT

I know I haven't posted a restaurant rebiew for ages, but been saving my pennies and not eating out as much as I used to. However, Holly and I decided to check out Happy Hour at Octopus Restaurant in Downtown before going to the cinema to catch a flick. Unfortunately, we took too long getting ready and playing with Brixton that we missed the first happy hour which is from 3:00pm - 7:00pm! They also have a reverse happy hour from 9:30pm until close (around 11pm), but of course that was when our film was playing.

Holly started with the miso eggplant steak, which she said was divine!

I had spicy tuna on crispy rice with wasabe mayo. There was too much of the mayo on this dish, although the rest of it was really tasty! It filled me up and I didn't really need to order anything else...

...But I already had ordered the Ichiban roll! It was hard to find a "chef's special" roll that didn't have tempura or imitation crab (both have wheat and I am a gluten-free diner innit). Also since I had already eaten a spicy tuna for my appetizer, I wanted something different - but the base of all the special rolls were either California Roll (with crab sticks)or spicy tuna roll. In the end I decided to double dose on my spicy tuna, rather than get nigiri or a simple roll.

Holly is Vegan and ordered a Vegetable Roll, which contained asparagus, cucumber, avocado and yamagobo.

For drinks we tried a Pomegranate martinis and Plum wine cocktail. Both were deliciously sweet and easy to drink!

I have ordered from Octopus for pick up, since their downtown restaurant is right down the road from my flat. Unfortunately the online menu differs slightly from each locations, so there are often things on the online menu that are not available at the restaurant. this can be disappointing, especially when I had to make 3 changes to my initial order because everytime I asked for something - they didn't have it.

Yummy factor: Oishi ne! It more fusion than traditional Japanese style.

Pocket: Go during happy hours!

Service: We had good service, the waiter helped us with recommendations and was friendly. It wasn't that busy because went between the two happy hours on a Thursday night though...

Atmosphere: Loud music pumping throughout the restaurant, so it feels like you're getting ready to go clubbing or something... Not really suitable for quiet romantic dining!

Octopus Restaurant
729 W. 7th St.
Los Angeles, CA 90017
Tel: (213) 402-1500

0 comments:

Newer Posts Older Posts

Back to Home